Opportunity: Program Coordinator for The Writers’ Collective
The Writers’ Collective is in a period of growth and renewal. We are seeking a self-directed, motivated individual to manage programs and administer the organization as we develop programs and partnerships to grow our membership and funding base.
The Program Coordinator is our only paid staff position, and is responsible for organizing and administering our programs. Key responsibilities include:
- Managing the application and reporting for our operating grant from Manitoba Heritage
- Co-ordinating writing contests twice a year, including working with sponsors, processing submissions, recruiting judges and planning an awards night
- Working with volunteers to co-ordinate and promote Speaking Crow and Library Out Loud, monthly open-mic events
- Communicating with members and other audiences, including updating our website (WordPress) and managing distribution of a regular e-newsletter (with our volunteer e-news publisher)
- Managing memberships
- Fundraising and seeking out additional revenue, to support organizational growth
- Media relations and public relations, particularly to support our programs
- Administrative support as needed for Collective Consciousness, The Writers’ Collective’s publication
- General office management, including responding to inquiries from the public
The successful candidate will have excellent administrative and stakeholder relations skills. This includes experience and skill in managing an organization’s finances, including tracking and projecting income and expenses, and managing grants (applications, reports and use of funds). They will also be an effective community builder, able to work with individuals (writers, volunteers, sponsors) and groups (partner organizations, Board of Directors). Ideally, the successful candidate will also have some familiarity or experience with the publishing industry.
The current contract fee is $12,000/year with a minimum commitment of 10 hours/week for one year. Hours are flexible, but will include some evenings and weekends. As our funding base and organization grows, additional responsibilities, salary and hours will be negotiated with the Program Coordinator.
The Writers’ Collective rents a desk on a part-time basis in ACI’s co-work space. The Program Coordinator will be expected to comply with the requirements and expectations of ACI for use of the co-work space.
Contract work to begin in December, with training from the outgoing Program Coordinator. Please send resume with references and cover letter to: Writers’ Collective, 300-245 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg, MB, R3B 0S6. Applications may also be submitted by email to: . Applications must be received by noon on Friday, November 15. Thank you for your interest, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.Hilary Friesen