It’s a Wild Ride – Winnipeg Free Press/The Writers’ Collective 2012 Non-Fiction and Poetry Contests
The Winnipeg Free Press/The Writers’ Collective nonfiction and poetry contests for 2012 are here!
- Choose your theme. This year’s themes are “A wild ride” and “The best New Year’s resolution I never kept.” You are free to interpret the theme as you see fit and need not mention the exact words of the theme in your submission. However, the theme should be obvious to the reader.
- Your story must be original, unpublished work. Non-fiction entries must be between 1,000 and 1,500 words. Poetry entries may be up to 3 pages, no longer than 100 lines.
- You may submit multiple entries. Each entry must be accompanied by an entry form and fee, and must be postmarked by midnight on Tuesday, November 27. Only one prize awarded per person.
- Entry fees are $5 for Writers’ Collective members, $15 for non-members. Fees are payable to The Writers’ Collective.
- A written evaluation of your entry is available for an additional fee of $25; payable to The Writers’ Collective. Please allow 10-12
- Submit four (4) copies of each story, typed, one-sided, double-spaced, individually staples, on 8.5 x 11 paper. Manuscripts will not be returned.
- Your name should not appear on the manuscript.
- Include an email address on the entry form to receive a list of winners.
- All entrants not complying with these rules will be disqualified.
- Please retain an electronic copy of your submission (in .doc, .rtf, or .txt format) in case you are selected to appear in Collective Consciousness.
- Winners will be notified by phone in December. Winnipeg entries will be celebrated at an awards evening, date TBA.
- Winners will be published in the Winnipeg Free Press and Collective Consciousness.
- Prizes are as follows: Nonfiction contest – $500 for 1st place, $300 for 2nd place, $100 for 3rd place. Poetry contest – $150 for 1st place, $100 for second place, $50 for third place.