Opportunity: Program Coordinator for The Writers’ Collective
The Writers’ Collective is in a period of change and renewal. We are seeking a self-directed, motivated individual to manage programs and administer the organization as we produce and launch a new literary and graphic arts magazine for Manitoba, Canada and the international market.
The Program Coordinator is our only paid staff position, and is responsible for organizing and administering our programs. Key responsibilities include:
- Managing the application and reporting for our operating grant from Manitoba Heritage
- Co-ordinating writing contests twice a year, including working with sponsors, processing submissions, recruiting judges and planning an awards night
- Working with volunteers to co-ordinate and promote Speaking Crow, a monthly open-mic poetry night
- Communicating with members and other audiences, including updating our website (WordPress) and creating and distributing a regular e-newsletter
- Managing memberships
- Fundraising and seeking out additional revenue, particularly to support the revamped Collective Consciousness and overall organizational growth
- Media relations and public relations, particularly to support our programs and the revamped Collective Consciousness
- General office management, including responding to inquiries from the public
The successful candidate will have excellent administrative and stakeholder relations skills. This includes experience and skill in managing an organization’s finances, including tracking and projecting income and expenses, and managing grants (applications, reports and use of funds). They will also be an effective community builder, able to work with individuals (writers, volunteers, sponsors) and groups (partner organizations, Board of Directors). Ideally, the successful candidate will also have some familiarity or experience with the publishing industry, particularly magazines.
Note that the redevelopment and relaunch of Collective Consciousness is being undertaken primarily by a group of volunteers, overseen by the Board. The Program Coordinator will support the relaunch of Collective Consciousness by conducting fundraising and public relations in Manitoba.
The current contract fee is $17,700/year with a minimum commitment of 20 hours/week for one year. Hours are flexible, but will include some evenings and weekends. As our funding base and organization grows, additional responsibilities, salary and hours will be negotiated with the Program Coordinator.
The Writers’ Collective shares workspace with another organization. Confidentiality and cultural sensitivity will be required regarding our hosts’ operations and clients.
Contract work to begin in November, with training from the outgoing Program Coordinator. Please send resume with references and cover letter to: Writers’ Collective, c/o ChangeMakers, 509 Century Street, Winnipeg, MB R3H 0L8. Applications may also be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be received by Wednesday, October 31. Thank you for your interest, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.Hilary Friesen